Thursday, August 9, 2012

How could I be jealous??

It's no secret that I've always wanted more than one child.  Having grown up as an only child, it was lonely childhood.  My mom was a single parent and my dad was a no-show in my life due to addiction.  If I didn't have cousins and close friends, once my mom is gone, I would be a very lonely girl.  I'm fairly private and don't have many friends, but the ones I do have are wonderful.  Anyway, this is why I don't want Sophie to grow up alone - I really think that growing up alone led me to be very shy, insecure and lack confidence.  I look at my cousin's three boys.  The eldest was extremely timid, shy, clingy and had no confidence whatsoever as a little boy - then they had another baby and the eldest became a big brother and acquired instant confidence at showing his little brother how everything worked.  I totally saw a change in his demeanour and personality...and that is what I want for Sophie, confidence, to be outgoing and personable, not like her mama.

We are friends with another couple, as the wife went to school with my hubby.  This couple are pretty much newlyweds, but over the last year, have lost two angels.  This is always such a tough conversation to have, but knowing that she may need info without wanting to have a full on discussion, I emailed her and disclosed our journey to Clomid and eventually a beautiful baby girl with the help of our fertility clinic.  I suggested that she make an appointment as they clearly didn't have any issues getting pregnant, but rather staying pregnant and the clinic may be able to offer some help.  We hadn't heard anything for weeks, but I kept praying for good news...and last week it came - they are expecting their rainbow in January! I was so thrilled and excited for them...but I'm ashamed to admit, I was a little bit envious.  I loved being pregnant so much and can't wait to have another bundle...just not now.  So I'm thrilled and excited for them, but each time I think of them, I can't shake this slight feeling of jealousy, and that is weird. I mean these folks deserve this wonderful news, and I don't have anything to be envious of, as my gorgeous rainbow is sleeping upstairs in her crib, surrounded by photos of her older brother...and yet that slight envy is still there.

I'm actually starting to worry that I might not have an 'off' button...we discussed two kids, but what if I want more?  I don't know if I could handle more than two kids, but I'm starting to feel the urge for a large family...we'll see what is in God's plan for us... but in the meantime, I feel like I am sinning with my envy...and trust me, I thank the good Lord daily for our rainbow and for our angel...



7 comments:

  1. I do not have an off button. As you may already know we have seven beautiful children here with us and two angels in Heaven. Even with that number, we yearn for another. Sadly, I must admit that I also am envious of pregnant women and new babies right now. I, like you, am so very grateful for the children that we have been blessed with, but I just can't help it. So try not to feel bad. I think it is totally normal:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna, thank you so much for your sweet comment! It is really nice to know you care:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand how you feel! I so miss being pregnant. At first I wanted 3 and my husband only wanted two. Now I want four but my husband still only wants two. I feel like I miss every stage we leave behind! I look at Max's newborn pictures and can't believe how big he has gotten! He's turning into a little boy although he will always be my baby. I definitely can't wait to Have another one! I get baby brain everytime someone announces a pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there...wait, maybe I'm still there! We were blessed with our 1 gift thru in vitro and I remember begging God that if he would let this work I would NEVER ask for another baby. Then, we had her...and I instantly wanted another baby! God was so good to us...he did answer our prayers..and then another (our 3rd)! But even at soon-to-be 43, I'm still envious of those that have 4, 5, + babies.

    My best friend told me this..."You'll always want one more. The trick is being satisfied with the ones you've got." SO TRUE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be nice for her to have a sibling. I can see that it would mean the world to you. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is understandable to be jealous, and it would be lovely for Sophie to have a sibling

    ReplyDelete
  7. I TOTALLY understand. Sometimes it's hard to admit but I think it's only natural, even when it's someone you care about and are rooting for. I am envious of every baby and pregnant lady I see, and I thought I was done having kids (and happily so) before I randomly got pregnant then lost my 2 precious angels. God will reveal his plans for your family, and they will be wonderful. You'll be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete