Friday, March 11, 2011

Good Friends are Hard to Find!

As you know, yesterday was a really rough day for me, much harder than I had anticipated.  I seemed to be doing OK during the morning when I had things to do, but when I finally sat down to my prayer and reflection time, my thoughts drifted to our angel and where we should be today.  An unending flow of tears began and at times I sobbed so much that my entire body shook.


Finally, around 5pm I got up to make meatloaf for dinner, and just as I was frying onions and peppers, the doorbell rang.  I must admit that I almost didn't answer it as I'm tired of door to door salespeople, but I did go.  There, standing in front of me was a delivery woman with a huge smile, holding a gorgeous bouquet of flowers for me.  The note had the preprinted tag "I'm thinking of you" and my friend just signed her name.  I was so incredibly touched and of course the tears started to roll and I ended up sobbing hysterically (again) while trying to put the flowers in a vase.


I was so incredibly touched that she had remembered.  This day was only significant to Freddie and I - our parents seemed to forget that yesterday was our due date.  So in a world that seemed to overlook our angel, my good friend took the time to send us these gorgeous birds of paradise, which are also my favourite flowers!


So THANK YOU dear friend - your kindness and compassion are so greatly appreciated!!!

10 comments:

  1. What beautiful flowers, and what an amazing friend! Thinking of you. ((HUGE HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful. Having a good friend makes all the difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so wonderful of your friend! Very thoughtful :) Good friends make things a lot easier.

    Thinking of you!

    <3 Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I met this woman in grad school and have known each other for about 15 years. She chose to continue on with academia and I chose to get out and get a job. Over the years we've both worked in various parts of the globe and rarely found ourselves in the same town, but we tried to connect by email/phone or coordinate trips or conferences. She's one of these people that no matter how long we're apart, we can pick up our friendship right on the spot. That's not to say we haven't had rough patches, as we did have a huge fight once where we didn't speak for a while. Due to work conflicts, she wasn't at my wedding - but now, as a single woman, she's going through IUI to have a family, so perhaps she understands better than most of our other friends what we're feeling and where we are emotionally. I wrote her a lovely thank you card and dropped it in the mail - it really was sweet.

    I didn't write this earlier, but all of you are also such a huge help to me. You ladies understand how hard all of this is and I greatly appreciate that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really sweet of your friend. I don't think my dad quite understood what that date meant to me...my mom did. I didn't hold it against him though. Maybe it's because he's a guy or something--he just can't understand. Or maybe it's too uncomfortable for him to go there. Either way, I was glad to have the support I DID get. Sounds like you got some good support too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is beautiful! What an amazing friend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes ladies, it was really sweet. I tend to hold onto things that we've received for our angel, so I'm sure that I'll dry at least one flower and put it in the memory box. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete