Thursday, September 29, 2011

Giving it all to God

I thought that this pregnancy would be different.
I didn't think that I'd feel this way.
But in a strange way, I'm at peace.


I expected to be worried, full of anxiety and stress.  Based on what others have told me and based on what I've read, I didn't even expect to enjoy this pregnancy.  I thought that the worry and stress from thinking about the possibility of losing this baby too would overshadow the entire experience... but I'm strangely peaceful and I trust that this baby will be coming home with us.


Compliments of Soul Inference
I pray.  I speak to God.  And I know that He loves me.  I've never been one to blame God for what happens to me.  Ever since I was a child, I also felt a special connection to God - simply put, I felt loved.  I know that early on it was the simple naivete of a child growing up with a single parent, praying that my 'magical' father in heaven would make sure that I was OK...but as I matured, I realized that I found strength and comfort in God.  I couldn't achieve anything without HIM.  I remember praying as a child, after the death of my dad, that God would protect my mom so that I wouldn't be an orphan - and now I thank God that He protected me.  And so it is now with this pregnancy.  It is an eerie calm and a feeling of peace, knowing that God is watching over us.  I remember having this exact same feeling when we left the Emergency Room - the doctor indicated that this was probably nothing and to go home and monitor the situation - as we walked outside, I knew that God was with us and no harm would come to Sammy.  Well, I was wrong, the harm did come, but I never felt alone.  The one comfort that I had was that my sweet Sammy was always in a better place - enjoying heaven with God and all His angels.  And now, I feel like this baby is the answer to all my prayers and the prayers of my loved ones.  Once our family friends, who happen to be nuns, found out that I was pregnant once more, they offered to call their motherhouse in Europe [which I had visited 20 years ago with my mom] and ask that the nuns there pray for me and this baby.  Perhaps its the love, via prayer, that I feel from others.  Or perhaps it's knowing that even IF anything should happen, modern medicine can't help me, only our Lord can do that.  I know miracles happen, but in today's society we call them 'modern medicine' or 'technology', but deep down, I feel the hand of God guiding those who help us.


So I keep praying - and I don't stress.  Each day with this baby is a gift, a gift I wish I could have shared with Sammy.  Perhaps this is me simply trying to protect my heart - I prefer to think that it is confidence in God's plan for me.  If I were to be honest with you [and with me], although I realize that I am indeed pregnant, it's hard for me to fathom that we will have a baby in the house.  It's hard for me to imagine all the ways that our lives will change.  Perhaps it's just hard for me to imagine a happy ending.


But no matter what happens, I know that my God is always with me.  I know that Mary, to whom I've been praying for the gift of motherhood, is also by my side.  I feel empowered.  I feel safe.  And I daresay I feel content.  I only pray that I will be able to pass on this strong belief in God onto our child...for how do you quantify or teach it?  I just hope that s/he will feel that God loves us and trust that we are never alone.


5 comments:

  1. It's good to hear how so at peace you are! I believe that you can impart the strong belief in God and how much God loves us by practicing it every day. Our children learn so much just by what we do and say every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's all we can do....give it all to him. There is only so much we can do for our babies, he is the one in charge. I think believing and trusting in God is a way of life and your baby will surely pick up in loving him and trusting in his guidance through his/her parents who already praise him and entrust in him everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love His peace that surpasseth all understanding :-)

    Glad you are feeling well!
    ((hugz))
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joanna! So glad to read you are doing so good!
    I started a new blog so come check it out. I'll still use Grow Baby Grow but only every once in a while.

    Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that the post has perfect collection of words and a well research. Its awesome! Thanks for sharing. Waiting for next.Indeed a very nice post and I am a devoted orthodontist reader at Las Vegas.Your post is really very valuable and I have now subscribed the same, keep up the good posting.

    ReplyDelete