Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Things I'll never get to do now

So its been a few days and I'm trying to get into the spirit of the season. Some days it works, some days it doesn't.  


On Sunday night, Freddie and I were watching Survivor. Now, I must admit that Survivor is kind of like a car wreck - its frustrating, takes a long time to get through it and although it annoys you, you can't look away. Neither one of us was a fan of "Fabio's", but seeing the three that were left, Chase, Sash and Fabio, both Freddie and I felt that the right person won.  It was nice to see someone who played a decent, clean game win.  So we've been watching for many weeks how nasty and malicious these people are to each other.  I've always maintained that "It's just a show" is no excuse for bad behaviour.  Clearly, this just shows what people will do for money, so yes, it is a game, but what values are they willing to compromise?


Having said that, I'd love to be on the show!  I'd like to think that I would not cheat, lie or hurt anyone along the way, but I also doubt I'd win.  So this started me thinking on what types of things my current disability is preventing me from, and Survivor is definitely one of them. Now let's be real, there are plenty of other reasons why I wouldn't make the show [not being a US citizen is one of the biggest], but I'm still annoyed that my back/neck pain is limiting me this way!  


So to add to the list, here are a few others:
     -can't go skiing anytime soon [and I just bought all new gear last year!]
     -the bike and rollerblades are sitting in their racks, hopefully I'll be able to get back to them someday
     -dancing...ooooh, I love to dance!  I hope to do more than slow dance when Freddie "holds me up" [on a side note, we went to a wedding in November and I hated having to sit on the sidelines, wear FLATS and be an old lady!  I wanted to shake it up on the dance floor - I mean, I know I looked good and I wanted show off a bit!]
    -skydiving!  Now, I've always wanted to try, but really, I think I'd shit my pants and then chicken out in the end...

There's many more, but these are the ones near and dear to my heart. I guess the frustration is that I can't do this, that something is preventing me from doing it, and most importantly that it's not MY choice.  My circumstances are dictating what I can and can't do, I certainly don't feel like I'm in charge of my own life.  It just makes me sad.  I guess the most important thing that I'd like to get back would be to just feel back to normal and be able to enjoy everyday things.



1 comment:

  1. "I've always maintained that "It's just a show" is no excuse for bad behaviour. "

    THIS!!! I totally agree! Yet, I think most people feel exactly the opposite!

    And skydiving...oh I'd never be able to do it...NEVER, EVER, EVER, NEVER! Lol, just the thought alone make me want to shit my pants! ;)

    ReplyDelete