Friday, February 25, 2011

Confirmation



Tomorrow is my godson's Confirmation.  I didn't know what to get him as a gift, as these days kids have everything.  Regardless, I made my way down to the local Catholic bookstore and probably spent an hour going through all the little nooks and crannies.  To be honest, it wasn't just about him, but also about finding something special for myself to commemorate our Angel's upcoming anniversary.  I looked at angels, books, prints, but nothing called out to me.  

In the end, I got a lovely prayerbook for my godson, as well as a prayer card with the Teen Creed.  I know that these gifts won't mean much to him this year, as he is just entering his teen years, and let's face it, kids in grade 7 are still trying to figure out who they are, what's cool and what's not, and just being 'kids'.  I certainly didn't search out prayerbooks or a closer connection with God until a little later on, and I suspect that my godson will hopefully crack this book open and know that it is there when he needs it.

While I was shopping for him and for me, it got me thinking about adulthood and how we all rushed to it when we were teens. I so wanted to be out of school, to have a "LIFE" - but looking back now, I agree with my mom, who always told me that the days she spent in school were the best days of her life.  Sometimes I long for the chance to be a child.  For days when my biggest problem was whether this person or that one liked me.  For times when the biggest worry was whether I'd get picked for the basketball team or if enough snow would fall so that we could ski.  Adulthood, sadly, comes with a lot of problems, dilemmas, disappointments and pain. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of great things about being an adult, but I just yearn for those carefree days, when I would dream of what my life would look like - instead of trying to realize those dreams and failing.


As you can tell, I'm a little sentimental today. Perhaps it's because I added a playlist to this blog, which admittedly is fairly sad. I've been listening to it this morning while reading other blogs and perhaps it has me down a little bit.  But the words are so powerful!


I think about my godson and wonder what is in store for his future.  Who will he grow up to be?  What path will his life take?  What will be his profession?  Who will he marry?  Will he have a house full of kids?  It also pains me to say that I'm jealous of the friendship that he has with his two siblings - they can always rely on each other.  I'm looking forward to the service, to see this boy become a young man, and hope that he understands what this sacrament is all about.



3 comments:

  1. Hi, I found you blog through the link at chronic babe. Your playlist is beautiful, even if it is sad to listen to it. I'll be back to read more soon.
    mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Mo - glad you found me :-)

    ReplyDelete